At my university, for a couple semesters we had a wok chef whipping up tasty bowls of hot, ethnic cuisine. My favorite was the tofu stir fry over quinoa. This yummy meal saved me in the beginning of my transition to veganism, because it was hearty, filling, delicious and amazing for weight loss.
Since then, I’ve recreated it several times in my own kitchen. It’s been a while, but I’ve decided it’s time to get back on my healthy eating kick (no more vegan junk food!) and I thought it might be nice to share this recipe with you guys.
This recipe is:
- Easy! Beginner-friendly
- A hit among vegans and meat-eaters alike
- Hearty and filling
- Perfect for weight-loss
- Fast weeknight dinner
- High in protein and stock-full of fresh veggies
This is my first time writing out a recipe, so please give me any tips and advice in the comments to make the next one better and easier to understand!
- 1 Package Organic Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Large Yellow Squash
- Bell peppers (I used red, orange, yellow and green for a lively color!)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili paste* (from any asian market, if not available at your local shop)
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil: 1 for the tofu, 1 for the pan, 1 for the sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste (1/2 teaspoon each should work)
- Sesame seeds and green onion to top
- Quinoa (for base, can substitute for any grain, or salad!)
*This much will make the dish mildly spicy to spicy. If you prefer a more mild taste, reduce to half a tablespoon.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- Mix well and set aside
- Prepare the tofu by draining it from the water and wrapping it in a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to dry for about 15 minutes. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. When the tofu is dried, cut it into bite size pieces and place it on an oven tray with parchment paper underneath if needed (spray with cooking spray if not). Season to your liking – I just drizzle it with sesame oil and dust it with whatever spice I’m in the mood for. Keep the tofu in for 10 minutes, then take it out and leave it to dry further on the counter.
- Meanwhile, cut your peppers into thin slivers and your squash into triangular half-circles (As pictured, but really, you can cut it however you like!)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a large pan
- Throw in all the bell peppers and reduce heat to medium, cook for about 3-5 minutes. Add in the squash, stir to coat all veggies in the oil, then cover the pan.
- Once tofu has sat outside for a few minutes, add it into the pan. Drizzle the sauce onto the veggies and tofu, stir, and let cook on medium for 5-8 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
To serve: Top the stir fry over quinoa, rice, or even a salad, squeeze a pinch of lemon, toss sesame seeds and green onion and you have an easy, healthy weeknight meal that aids in weight loss!
Let me know if you guys tried out this recipe and what you thought! 🙂